The MediaStore mobile app: introduction
The MediaStore mobile app is an add-on to the regular MediaStore platform which usually comprises a monthly fee, either flat or per user. If you are not using it yet and are interested, please contact us.
The MediaStore mobile app is a catalog discovery and screening tool purpose-built for mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. It is fully integrated with the regular MediaStore browser-based application and is designed to serve two distinct cases:
- Content buyers and other screening users can use the app as a portable window into your catalog. It provides all the key features of the regular MediaStore client-facing site while adding the option to download specific videos for offline screening. Local device storage is encrypted, meaning your content’s security is not compromised.
- Sales executives and other content presenters can, in addition to the features above, pre-compile selections of products and video assets using the regular MediaStore administrative site, and then synchronize these to their mobile device’s offline storage. This allows them to prepare larger content packages for presentations during markets and meetings where no reliable internet connection may be available. In addition, further features related to sales and presentations are available. Any features available only to administrative site users are marked as “[Admins only]” in this user guide.
The MediaStore mobile app described here is a white-label version available for all of MediaStore’s clients. It provides a fully-fledged interface combined with customization of certain elements such as highlight sliders and product genres.
Please also note that mediafellows can develop and deploy a fully customized version of the MediaStore mobile app, allowing for additional branding, styling and navigation tweaks, and deploy it under your own company name. Please get in touch in case you are interested.
As of now, the MediaStore mobile app is available for iOS devices such as iPad and iPhone.
The MediaStore mobile app’s prerequisites are as follows:
- An iPad or iPhone updated to the latest operating system version
- An existing MediaStore platform and a user account validated for usage with the mobile app
- A stable internet connection (wifi or mobile network) for using the app in online mode, including video download
Please get in touch in case your account and/or your MediaStore platform is not validated for mobile app use; we are happy to provide more information on available pricing packages.
At the moment, the MediaStore mobile app is not yet available for Android devices.
Preparation: installing the app
- In your mobile device’s App Store, search for “mediafellows” and select the “MediaStore Mobile App”.
- Alternatively, open this direct link: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/mediastore-mobile-app/id1548688039
- Follow the standard app installation process to install the MediaStore mobile app.
Preparation: logging into the app
On the app’s login screen, you will be requested to enter the following information:
- Domain: The URL of your MediaStore website (e.g. https://screening.mycompany.com)
- Email Address: The email address associated with your user account
- Password: Your user account’s password
Upon successful login, you may optionally choose to save your credentials and use TouchID/FaceID to log in in the future.
In case you are uncertain about your credentials, your account is currently not enabled for app use, or if you are having trouble logging in, please reach out to your internal contact overseeing user access to your MediaStore platform, or else contact us.
In case you have multiple MediaStore user accounts which you would like to use with the app, perhaps even on different MediaStore platforms, you may log out of the app at any time and use the option Use another account on the login screen. Be aware, however, that all downloaded offline content associated with your most recently used account will be deleted from your device when you switch to another account.
Navigation and screening
After login, you will arrive in the app’s Catalog section, which mirrors your MediaStore client site’s landing page. Here, you will be able to:
- View highlighted products, as exposed through a main slider and genre-specific pages and sliders as well as personal content such as Favorites
- Review your personal Favorites, titles you have Recently Viewed, and Continue Watching where you previously left off
You may also open the Search section in the app’s bottom navigation in order to perform a targeted keyword search for a specific product.
Tapping on any product tile will open the product detail view, permitting you to review any videos and images associated with the selected product, as well as its metadata. The following sections are available in this view:
- Product interaction buttons: In the top right corner, you will find buttons to cast the app to a second screen (see below), set the current product as a Favorite, recommend the current product (Admins only – see below), and subscribe to video updates for the given product.
- Asset preview area: The main asset preview area is the central area and is used for large previews of all the current product’s marketing assets. The tab navigation immediately below lets you navigate between different types of assets, usually Videos and Images. Tapping on any asset thumbnail will open it as a large preview, and, in case of a video, initiate video playback.
- Metadata, subordinate products and offline videos: Below the asset navigation, you will find an additional set of tabs to navigate between the product’s Overview of metadata, its Videos (for downloading to offline storage – see below), and any subordinate products (such as Seasons in case you are currently viewing a Series which has some Seasons assigned).
If, under Account > Settings, the option Force offline is enabled, or if your device is not connected to the internet, the content available to you within the app will be restricted to products whose videos you have previously downloaded, and you will only be able to browse it via the Downloads and Collections sections (see below).
Downloading individual videos for offline screening
Please follow the steps below to download individual videos into your mobile device’s offline storage.
- In the product detail view, navigate to the bottom of the page. Where the Overview tab shows product metadata by default, open the Videos tab. (This tab will only appear if marketing videos are assigned to the product and accessible to your user.)
- Tap the download icon to the right of any listed video in order to start the download. You will immediately see the download progress, as well an an option to pause the download.
To review all current downloads and previously downloaded videos, go to the separate Downloads section via the bottom navigation. Here, you will find a list of all videos that are either currently being downloaded or fully downloaded already, grouped by the associated product. Depending on the current status of a particular video, you may pause a download (by tapping the “pause” icon) or delete videos (by tapping Options and then using the Delete option).
All downloaded videos are stored securely and cannot be accessed outside the perimeter of the MediaStore mobile app. Additionally, even if you are logged into the app, the app will connect to the internet on occassion to ensure that your MediaStore user credentials are still valid, and prohibit further access in case they are not.
For the Admin-only feature of pre-selecting content in bulk to be synchronized to the mobile app, please read about the related functionality below.
Account details and additional features
To review your account details, including the option to toggle the app into offline mode, navigate to Account via the app’s bottom navigation. Here, you will find the following sections, many of which mirror functionality of the white-label MediaStore client site.
- Recommendations: Your received (not sent) product recommendations.
- Recently Viewed: Your recently viewed products.
- Screenings: Any Screening Room Groups you have been given access to.
- Favorites: Products you have marked as a Favorite, with the option to recommend selected ones.
- Continue Watching: Products on which you have previously viewed a video, letting you pick up screening where you left off.
- Subscriptions: Products to which you have subscribed for updates on newly added videos, with the option to change subscription settings and unsubscribe.
- Profile: Your user details, shown here in a read-only manner (to update them, please use the MediaStore administrative or client website).
- Toggle Force offline to enable the app’s offline mode. When this is active, Catalog and Search will be unavailable, but you will be able to use the Downloads section to browse your downloaded content, as well as review your synchronized Collections.
- As long as Download only wifi is enabled, the app will not attempt to download videos into offline storage unless it is connected to a wireless network. This way, potentially costly downloads via mobile carrier are avoided.
- Logout: Tap this to log out of the app.
All your user-specific data is automatically synchronized across devices, so for instance, your Favorites or your screening activity from the web-based client-facing MediaStore site are carried over into the mobile app and vice-versa, letting you pick up where you left off when switching devices.
Tools for content presentations
For content presentations, it is possible to connect the MediaStore mobile app to a second screen and showcase content there. To leverage the related functionality, please proceed as follows:
- Cast an asset to an available screen: There are multiple options to share assets with external screens:
- Chromecast: On a product detail page, tap the “cast” icon in the top right corner to broadcast the selected asset to a screen in your vicinity with Chromecast functionality.
- Apple TV via AirPlay: Tap the AirPlay icon in the video player’s control bar to share the video with an available Apple TV device.
- HDMI cable: Connect the mobile device to an external screen via an HDMI cable and any required adapter.
- Set a splash screen image [Admins only]: A splash screen image may optionally be defined (it could e.g. be a company logo or event-specific wallpaper). This will be displayed in case the mobile app is currently connected to a second screen, but no asset is currently selected for preview. To define this, use the MediaStore adminstrative site to navigate to Settings > Affiliation, and select Actions > Upload Splash Screen [available for users with the “Administrator” role only]. A preview of the currently uploaded splash screen can be seen here under Splash Screen.
Pre-selecting content to synchronise in the MediaStore administrative site [Admins only]
This feature is only available to internal users with access to the administrative site. It is not available to clients.
Content, especially larger volumes, can optionally be pre-selected for synchronization to the MediaStore mobile app’s offline storage. This can be achieved through the MediaStore administrative site by using Groups, specifically any Groups you set up in Groups > Mobile App Sync. In short, you can simply precompile larger selections of products (and their video assets); once these Mobile App Sync Groups are set up, you will find them within the mobile app and can synchronize their content through a single button tap only.
- Create a Mobile App Sync Group: In the MediaStore administrative site, go to Groups > Mobile App Sync section and click Add New to create a new Group. Regarding the Group’s access, you can:
- set its access to Private in order to keep the group available only to yourself, or
- set its access to Company or above in order to make the group available to other admin users using the app as well.
- Select the products you’d like to synchronize: Add the required products to your Mobile App Sync Group. This can be achieved in exactly the same way as with regular Groups, i.e. you can add products from the Products section as well as through the Add dialog in the Products tab of the Mobile App Sync Groups.
- Select the video(s) to be synchronized: While you add Products to your Mobile App Sync Groups, you will be prompted to specifically select the video(s) you’d like to include. This will determine the videos to be synced to the iPad.
Alternatively, after you have already added a product to a Mobile App Sync Group, you can always open the Group’s Products tab, tick the Product(s) for which you’d like to select videos, and then click Actions > Edit Video Sync at the top in order to change the selection of included videos.
- Synchronize the selected content to the MediaStore mobile app: Log into the mobile app as usual and open the Collections section (ensuring that you are online). This will list all Mobile App Sync Groups which are currently available to you, i.e. your own Mobile App Sync Groups as well as any created by colleagues that have Company access or above. By tapping the “circular arrow” icon to the right of each Group, you can initiate the synchronization process.
- Wait for the synchronization process to finish: In the mobile app’s Collections section, next to each Mobile App Sync on which you have started the sync, you will see a progress indication. You may also navigate to the app’s Downloads section to review currently running downloads in more detail.
To update a Mobile App Sync Group and the synchronized content within the mobile app, simply repeat steps 2 and 3 above on any existing Mobile App Sync Group; then, in the mobile app’s Collections section, tap the synchronization icon to the right of a Mobile App Sync Group to re-synchronize it and bring the content in the mobile app up to date.
When synchrozing larger quantities of content to the MediaStore mobile app (especially if many full-length screeners are included), be aware that your mobile device may run out of storage space at some point. The mobile app’s Downloads section shows the Available space on the device, which you can always refer to.
Sending product recommendations [Admins only]
This feature is only available to internal users with access to the administrative site. It is not available to clients.
Product recommendations, with the same functionality as the MediaStore admin site, can be initiated from various positions in the MediaStore mobile app. In each case, you may define various recommendation-specific parameters prior to sending, and do so even if the app is currently offline, in which case the message will be dispatched once an internet connection is reestablished.
- Single products from the product detail view: Tap the “thumbs up” icon in the top right corner to prepare and send a recommendation.
- One or multiple products from a genre or search result product list: Above the product tiles on the right, tap the Options button to reveal the Recommend functionality. Now, tick all products you would like to recommend, then tap the Recommend button.
- One or multiple products from your Favorites: Above the product tiles on the right, tap the Options button to reveal the Recommend functionality. Now, tick all products you would like to recommend, then tap the Recommend button.